Meet the changes and challenges of a demanding risk management and insurance marketplace with confidence and professionalism—earn the Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU) designation. From risk management principles to complex policy and coverage analysis, CPCU is the premier designation to ensure your professional success.
This Program Is Recommended For
• Agents and brokers
• Agency principals
• Claims representatives
• Line of business managers and executives
• Insurance litigators
• Risk managers
Completion Time Frame
2 – 3 years
• Four foundation courses
• Three courses in either the personal lines or commercial lines concentration
• One elective course
• Completion of Ethics 312--Ethics and the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct
You can take courses in any sequence according to your background, needs, and interests.
Complete the program in 2-3 years.
In order to satisfy the CPCU education requirements you must pass in any order; four foundation courses, all three courses from within your choice of either the personal lines concentration or the commercial lines concentration, and one elective course.
Commercial Lines Concentration Courses
Personal Lines Concentration Courses
• To satisfy the CPCU ethics requirements, you must either pass the 50-question exam in the free online Ethics 312 module OR have completed the CPCU 510-Foundations of Risk Management, Insurance, and Professionalism course by March 15, 2011.
• The CPCU Code of Professional Conduct notes ongoing professional education as a core value for every CPCU. The Institutes are currently formalizing the process for CPCUs to report their continuing education activities.
To earn the CPCU designation, in addition to completing the education requirements, you must:
• Matriculate with The Institutes by completing a form and submitting a fee-- this registers you as a CPCU designation candidate and requires you to abide by the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct. It is recommended that you matriculate as early as possible in your CPCU studies. You will receive a link to the matriculation form when you register for your first exam.
• Before earning the CPCU Designation, you must be able to show that you were engaged for a minimum of 17 1/2 hours a week in acceptable insurance activities for any 24 months during the five-year period immediately preceding the conferment of the designation.